Colon cleansing has been all the rage for at least a decade. I’m sure you’ve come across an article or tv show reporting on this “new” way to improve gut health. But, did you know this health fad isn’t new at all? Colon cleansing has been around since at least 1500 B.C. as a natural way to detox the digestive system. Back then, ancient Egyptians would stand in a river with a hollow reed inserted in their rectum to help flush out toxins. Times have certainly changed since then as well as the methods that people use to perform a colon cleanse. Here are a few of the methods people use today:
- Colonic hydrotherapy
- Herbal teas and supplements
- Colon cleansing drinks
While our body’s are naturally designed to remove waste and toxins, there is evidence that occasional colon cleansing can help support digestive health. Some of the methods mentioned above are effective but some come with risks such as dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and risk of infection. Luckily, there is a safe, natural alternative to the more aggressive forms of colon cleansing: colon cleansing drinks.
Benefits of Colon Cleansing Drinks
Colon cleansing drinks work by helping pull toxins out of your lower digestive tract and breaking up compact waste that may have accumulated in your colon. Juices contain fiber and nutrients that help detox your digestive system and flush the toxins out. This is a natural method of cleansing that is gentle and safe since it works with your body’s natural digestive system. Some of the benefits that have been claimed by colon cleansing advocates include the following:
- Boosts energy
- Improves mood
- Boosts the immune system
- Removes toxins from the lower intestine
- Improves liver function
- Aids in weight loss
- Supports a healthy digestive tract
The 3 Best Types of Colon Cleansing Drinks
Below you’ll find three of the best colon cleanse drink recipes that can help you get on your way to a healthier digestive system. We’ve included the ingredients that you’ll need, how to make each drink, and the directions for consuming the drink.
Salt Water Flush
Salt water flushes are the gold standard for effective natural colon cleansing. When you ingest salt water the salt naturally attracts water to your intestine. This results in a strong "flush" that can help remove waste and toxins from your digestive tract.
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- Jar with a lid
- 4 cups of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Heat the water. Make sure the water is at sippable temperature (170 degrees or so).
- Combine the ingredients in the jar and put the lid on. Shake the solution vigorously to ensure that the salt is fully dissolved.
- Quickly consume the drink with the goal of drinking it entirely under 5 minutes. Lay on your side and gently massage your stomach starting with one side and moving to the next.
- After a short period of time you will feel the need to go to the bathroom.
- When you feel like you can't hold it in any longer, use the bathroom. You may continue to feel the urge to use the restroom for a couple of hours until your colon has been completely emptied.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
This mixture contains two ingredients that have both been shown to have a positive impact on gut flora. Apple cider vinegar is a fermented form of apple cider that has a multitude of health benefits. Raw honey has several beneficial compounds and probiotics that make it a gut-friendly addition. When combined, these two ingredients create a powerful natural colon cleansing recipe.
- 8 ounces of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- Fill a cup or glass with 8 ounces of warm water.
- Shake the apple cider vinegar. The cloudy substance at the bottom is mixed into the liquid.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into the warm water.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of raw honey into the warm water.
- Drink the mixture before bedtime.
- Expect a series of bowel movements the next day as waste and toxins are eliminated.
The lemonade cleanse, aka the “Master Cleanse”, is a colon detox drink consisting of four ingredients; lemon juice, honey, cayenne pepper, and ginger. Proponents of this cleanse claim that it can help remove toxins from your body and help you lose weight.
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon of honey
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Fill a cup or mug with one cup of hot water.
- Add the lemon juice, honey and spices.
- Stir until all the ingredients are mixed into the hot water.
- Sip until gone.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is a colon cleanse a good idea?
If you feel that you would benefit from a colon cleanse, it is a good idea to do some research and see if the benefits are something you feel are worth pursuing. Depending on your goals, a colon cleanse might be able to help assist you in your pursuit of health and wellness at minimal risk or expense.
How many pounds of poop are in your colon?
It is estimated that people produce about one ounce of poop for every 12 pounds of body weight. If you look at the average weight of men (195.7lbs) and women (168.5lbs) in the US, this means that the average man produces about 1 pound of poop per day and the average woman produces about 14 ounces of poop per day.
How much weight can you lose with a colon cleanse?
According to various resources, the consensus on average weight loss after completing a colon cleanse is between 2.6 and 6.6 pounds. Keep in mind that this weight loss is due to removing the stool from your intestine so when you begin to eat again, the weight will likely come back.
If you’ve been considering doing a colon cleanse for the multitude of health benefits, it may be worth it to try one of the homemade colon cleanse recipes mentioned above. When it comes to health, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions. Completing a colon cleanse can be a safe, natural way to improve your health and wellbeing with minimal effort and cost.
Keep in mind that many of these cleanses may cause you to have some major bowel movements. Instead of wasting tons of toilet paper, make your colon cleanse eco-friendly by trying a TUSHY bidet attachment today!